Dear Tom and Ray:
I listen to your show every weekend, so I know your alma materis MIT. I thought you might enjoy a few comments I foundregarding some the of course reviews there.
Best and Worst Comments Taken from the
MIT Course Evaluation Guide
1. "Text is useless. I use it to kill roaches in myroom."
2. "He teaches like Speedy Gonzalez on a caffeinehigh."
3. "In class, the syllabus is more important than youare."
4. "Help! I've fallen asleep and I can't wake up!"
5. "Text makes a satisfying 'thud' when dropped on thefloor."
6. "The class is worthwhile because I need it for thedegree."
7. "His blackboard technique puts Rembrandt to shame."
8. "Textbook is confusing ... someone with a knowledge ofEnglish should proofread it."
9. "Have you ever fallen asleep in class and awoke inanother? That's the way I felt all term."
10. "This class was a religious experience for me ... Ihad to take it all on faith."
11. "The recitation instructor would make a goodparking lot attendant. Tries to tell you where to go,but you can never understand him."
12. "Problems sets are a decoy to lure you away frompotential exam material."
13. "Recitation was great. It was so confusing that Iforgot who I was, where I was, and what I was doing -- it'sa great stress reliever."
14. "He is one of the best teachers I have had... . He iswell-organized, presents good lectures, and createsinterest in the subject. I hope my comments don't hurthis chances of getting tenure."
15. "I would sit in class and stare out the window atthe squirrels. They've got a cool nest in the tree."
16. "The absolute value of the TA was less thanepsilon."
17. "TA steadily improved throughout the course... . Ithink he started drinking and it really loosened himup."
18. "Information was presented like a ruptured firehosespraying in all directions -- no way to stop it."
19. "I never bought the text. My $60 was better spenton the Led Zeppelin tapes that I used while doing theproblem sets."
20. "What's the quality of the text? 'Text is printedon high-quality paper.'"
21. "The course was very thorough. What wasn't coveredin class was covered on the final exam."