Where do I find a "rare part" for my Ford Thunderbird?

Dear Car Talk

Dear Car Talk | Apr 01, 1990

Dear Tom and Ray:

I am trying to locate an exhaust manifold for a 1965 Ford Thunderbird. I am having a very difficult time. Ford has not been able to help me. Do you know of any way I might find such a rare part?

RAY: We have two suggestions. The first assumes that you're looking for a manifold because yours is cracked. If that's the case, our suggestion is to have it welded.

TOM: If, on the other hand, you're looking for a manifold because yours has been stolen (I understand there have been a rash of manifold burglaries in your area), your best bet would be to place an ad in a classic-car publication like Hemmings Motor News (Box 100, Bennington, VT ZIP tk).

RAY: Actually, Robert, if I were you, I'd put two ads in Hemmings. One looking for a manifold for a '65 T-Bird, and one offering for sale a '65 T-Bird without a manifold. See which ad gets the first response and go for it!

Get the Car Talk Newsletter

Got a question about your car?

Ask Someone Who Owns One