Where can I find classic car parts?

Dear Car Talk

Dear Car Talk | Oct 01, 1989

Dear Tom and Ray:

I have a 1963 Buick Special with no brakes. What I need is a power lever boot and a master boot. I have not been able to find either of these parts. I used to know the number of a place that had a catalogue of used car parts, but I can no longer remember it. Do you have any suggestions? It's just no fun sitting in my car with the motor running and not being able to go anywhere.

RAY: One reason you can't find either of these parts is that you have the names wrong. You probably need a "power booster" and a "master cylinder."

TOM: Sitting in that car with the engine running, the carbon monoxide has obviously gotten to your brain. That's why you can't remember either the names of the parts or that phone number.

RAY: Go out, breath some fresh air, and do some calisthenics and the number will probably come back to you. If it doesn't, try running an ad in Hemmings Motor News. Hemmings is a periodical out of Bennington, Vermont which carries ads for used parts for old heaps like yours.

Get the Car Talk Newsletter

Got a question about your car?

Ask Someone Who Owns One