We only just barely recommend "Restore", and only as a last resort.

Dear Car Talk

Dear Car Talk | Nov 01, 1999

Dear Tom and Ray:

In a recent column, you said you've had some success with a product called
"Restore." Under what conditions do you recommend it, and where can I find it? --

TOM: Under "desperate" conditions, Bill. Restore is one of those "ring-job-in-a-
can" products. But it happens to be the only one we've ever had any occasional
success with.

RAY: Sometimes a customer will come in with an old beater that's burning oil. He
may need it to last another six months while he finishes graduate school -- or
till he can knock off his mother-in-law and inherit her Coupe DeVille. And if
he's got nothing to lose (if the alternative is junking the car or rebuilding the
engine), we'll often recommend a can of Restore.

TOM: And even if it doesn't work, no harm is done because he's going to rebuild
the engine or junk it anyway.

RAY: So it's a last resort, in our opinion, and not recommended for your '98
Caravan, for instance.

TOM: The Restore folks say it's sold in most Wal-Mart and Kmart stores, as well
as auto parts stores. And if you can't find it locally, you can call them at
(954) 563-7001.

Get the Car Talk Newsletter

Got a question about your car?

Ask Someone Who Owns One