Is there a resource out there to see which used car parts can be used on other makes and models?

Dear Car Talk

Dear Car Talk | Nov 01, 1999

Dear Tom and Ray:

I'm sure this is probably top-secret information, but maybe you can let me in on
the secret. For years, I have tried to find a cross-reference that will tell me
which parts from one car will fit into another car. I want to know this so I can
advertise to the largest group of people who could use what I'm selling. For
instance, I have a set of aluminum alloy wheels from a 1979 Mercury Capri RS
Turbo. I suspect they would cross over to a Ford Mustang, but for which model
years? Is there a Web site or anyplace I could go to get this information? --

RAY: This information is not classified at all, Terry. It's just expensive.

TOM: As you've concluded, this is valuable information. And there's a company out
there that has concluded the same thing.

RAY: Its product is called the Hollander Interchange Manual. And Hollander sells
it, on a subscription basis, to places like junkyards and car restorers -- and to
any member of the general public willing to pay for it.

TOM: You can contact Hollander on the Web at, or at
(800) 761-9266. But beware, the manual's not cheap!

RAY: The current book sells for about 400 bucks, and it only goes back to the
1984 model year (not far enough for your '79 Capri wheels). There's a computer/
CD-ROM version you can buy that goes all the way back to 1965, but that will set
you back about 800 bucks. So unless you're "in the business" or sell parts
frequently, it's probably not a worthwhile investment.

TOM: If this is a one-time thing, you might get lucky by cozying up to your local
junk man (oops, I mean auto-recycling service professional). If you're real nice,
he might do you a favor and look up the Capri wheels for you once.

RAY: But if you come by every week asking him to look up another part for you,
he's going to eventually sic his dog on you. And in that case, you might as well
buy the book, because the emergency-room bill alone is going to run you more than
$400. Good luck, Terry.

Get the Car Talk Newsletter

Got a question about your car?

Ask Someone Who Owns One