Converting drum brakes to disc brakes.

Dear Car Talk

Dear Car Talk | Jan 01, 1993

Dear Tom and Ray:

I own a '64 1/2 Ford Mustang that has the old drum brakes. I need to convert the old brakes to disc brakes, but I have not been able to find a mechanic who's willing to do the work. Do you have any suggestions?

TOM: Yeah. You need a mechanic who's also an attorney.

RAY: The reason no one wants to do this job is because of the potential legal liability. If your new brake system fails, and you plow into a farm stand and kill four prize eggplants, the mechanic who did the work could be held liable.

TOM: So your best bet is to contact your area Mustang club. They'll be able to get you information on exactly what parts you need and how to do the job. They might even be able to suggest a mechanic who specializes in old Mustangs, and may be willing to do the job...especially if you walk in with all the parts and a "hold-harmless" waiver. Good luck, Michelle.

Get the Car Talk Newsletter

Got a question about your car?

Ask Someone Who Owns One