Can I use rubbling alcohol instead of "dry gas"?gaso

Dear Car Talk

Dear Car Talk | Mar 01, 1999

Dear Tom and Ray:

I have a question about "Dry Gas." I know some brands contain methanol and some
contain isopropyl alcohol. I know that isopropyl is recommended for cars with
fuel injection. The question is, can I use the isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol I buy
in the drugstore? I noticed the label says "contains 70 percent isopropyl." Does
this mean the rest is water? -- Joe

RAY: Yes. And water is exactly the thing you're trying to get OUT of your tank by
using the "dry gas" or "gas line antifreeze." So I wouldn't use that 70 percent

TOM: But if you can find it, you CAN use rubbing alcohol that contains "99.9
percent isopropyl alcohol," which costs about a third of the price of commercial
"dry gas."

RAY: What is that other 0.1 percent? It could be yak sweat for all I know. But
99.9 percent is certainly pure enough. It's not available everywhere, but call
around -- some stores do carry it.

TOM: I should mention that, personally, I don't believe you really need this
stuff. Most gasolines already contain some kind of gas line antifreeze. But if
you do find it helpful where you live, you can put the rubbing alcohol into your
tank in the same ratio that you would use for a commercial dry gas product --
about 12 ounces of isopropyl alcohol for every 10 gallons of gas.

RAY: Just be sure that you check the label carefully and buy the stuff that's
99.9 percent alcohol and not the stuff that's 30 percent water.

Get the Car Talk Newsletter

Got a question about your car?

Ask Someone Who Owns One