Who knew there were so many definitions of "cozy wings" out there?!

mail bag
Dear Tom and Ray:

I never fail to read your column and I am simply amazed by your knowledge. I guess that's why I find it hard to believe that you don't know what "Cosy Wings" are. They are one of two things. First, your reader could be referring to "wing vents," which used to be on older cars and were very popular. Second, in the 1940s, there was a curved, plastic item that snapped into the existing wing vent. The purpose of this was to direct the air to a part of your body called the crotch. The trade name for this product was "Koolies." There were a few other names used to describe this product which I won't mention because I'm sure you won't print them. How do I know all this, you ask? Because I worked for an automotive parts company that sold them. If wing vents ever become standard equipment again, so will "Koolies." I guarantee it. Especially in cars without air conditioning.

TOM: Gee, Robert. But I'm not sure we've solved the "Cosy Wing" mystery. If "Koolies" are cosy wings, where does the name "cosy wing" come from? I'm skeptical.

RAY: So we'll keep our "Cosy Wing Division" open in case anyone else has anything to add to this growing body of knowledge. Write to us in care of this newspaper.
Tags (Browse All)
mail bag

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login / Signup
Support for Car Talk is provided by:

Donate Your Car,
Support Your NPR Station

...and get a tax break!

Get Started

Find a Mechanic

Promo tile

Rocket Fuel